Monday, June 13, 2011

ME AND LANCE, WHO KNEW?

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”
-Lance Armstrong

Go Lance!
Getting into this whole blog thing. I was a bit thrown to discover a whole mess of instructional videos I'd done over 3 years ago for a company called Expert Village. They are now accessible through various websites including ehow.com, and Lance Armstrong's own livestrong.com.

It's a multi-part series on Shiatsu massage. As I recall, the shoot for it was pretty intense. One 12 hour day, just me, a volunteer "client" and the cameraman. Trying to cram in as much info as possible. Everybody was wonderful to work with, but I felt a bit out of my element. No script. The whole thing was on me. So I was the teacher/therapist, as well as "writer" and "director", And I remember feeling the need to walk that line, providing honest therapy and technique, and at the same time having to continually connect to the camera lens, i.e. the audience.

Now, that I've been doing my massage practice for some time, I've come to realize just how much of a moving meditation it really is. As in yoga (or any sport or creative endeavor for that matter), you ideally get lost. IN THE ZONE. Moving intuitively!!!!!! Every massage is different, every body (every canvas -'scuse my pretentiousness, please!). As yoga teacher, Bryan Kest has stated. "we all come to the mat with different life experiences." So, ideally, when I work on someone, and, if I'm fully "present", I'm different , as is the body I'm working on. So, to perform massage and still be cognizant of the camera, it'll inevitably be somewhat of an "act".

For what it's worth, I hope you enjoy the show. Thank you, Lance, for posting.

http://www.livestrong.com/video/1211-introduction-shiatsu-head-face/

1 comment:

  1. Do you still practice massage therapy now that your acting career gas gas be so successful? If so, how do you balance both?

    ReplyDelete